Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Re-mix-master of Paul's Boutique

Has it really been 20 years since the Beastie Boys released "Paul's Boutique"? Yes, it has. And to commemorate this groundbreaking masterpiece of music (which, 20 years later, is still my favorite album), the Boys have released a re-mastered version, available here. As MCA told MTV News, PB now "actually does have enough bass to shatter your one frozen testicle."

The special PB site is off-the-charts awesome. Fans can share PB-related anecdotes, upload photos, watch the original music videos, play Mike D in "3-Minute Rule" ping-pong and download a free audio commentary covering all 53 glorious minutes of the magic that is "Paul's Boutique."

My anecdote: I was 9 years old when this album came out. First song I heard was "Shake Your Rump"; big sister Tracy was blasting it on her super-sweet (for 1989) stereo system, and the bass was shaking the plates in the china cabinet and such. (She only did this when mom wasn't home; wise of her). And like that, boom, I was in love. Oh, and I still hold a grudge against a kid I went to high school with who threw my "Paul's Boutique" CD out the window of a moving car for no apparent reason. Jackass.

Oh, also, read their interview with MTV News here.

No comments:

Post a Comment