Friday, June 26, 2009

Don't Stop Till You Get Enough

Thought I'd join in on the Michael Jackson tributes today. A couple MJ-related personal anecdotes:

* My older brother and sisters pinned me down to watch the "Thriller" video (still probably the best video of all time) because I was terrified of it. I was 4. Watching this video then caused me to have an extremely vivid, recurring dream where MJ would come to our house to eat dinner with us, then would turn into a zombie and dance around our living room while I hid behind the couch. Also, I used to pick up the needle and skip over the Vincent Price speaking part on the record because that scared me, too.

* I used to imagine parts of the sidewalk lighting up as I danced over them, a la "Billie Jean."

* The first cassette tape I ever bought with my own money was "Bad."

* I tried for weeks to learn how to do "the lean" from the "Smooth Criminal" video. No success.

* My siblings and I watched the world premiere of the "Black or White" video, on Fox (!), at my grandparents' house. Needless to say, it got a little awkward when he went on the crotch-grabbing, car-smashing tirade. But the song was -- and is -- still boss. My sister Tracy used to blast it in the mornings when she'd drop me off at school.

* My college volleyball coach pretty much hated me, but the only time I got into her good graces was when I flawlessly performed choreography from "Beat It" and "Thriller" one day after practice as the songs blared over the PA at the DakotaDome.

* Someone once asked me this fun icebreaker question: If you could have one song played every time you enter a room, what would it be? My answer: "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough." That song was my ringtone for about 2 years.

We'll miss ya, MJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment