Saturday, January 10, 2009

Give Michael C. Hall the Golden Globe, dammit!

"Dexter" is my newest TV obsession. I don't use the word obsession lightly, either. I am three episodes short of finishing Season 2 (hooray for Netflix!), and I don't think any show has ever kept me as emotionally involved. The premise alone is ridiculously intriguing: Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall) is a serial killer who is governed by an ambiguous moral code and works for the Miami Metro Police Department as a blood spatter analyst.

Hall has made Dexter into the most complex of characters, at once gaining our sympathy, understanding and trust despite his often deranged dark side. He has made it possible to root for a serial killer with gruesome murder tools. Not that I always feel OK about those rooting efforts, which is just one moral conundrum on a show full of them.

And with all of these moral quandaries, it's no surprise that each episode requires a significant amount of emotional energy. It also has forever altered my view of procedural crime dramas. Rather than the usual "Law and Order" formula -- each episode involves one case that is wrapped up with a nice little bow at the end -- "Dexter" gives a more realistic depiction of how crime investigations play out, i.e. sometimes they take a long time to solve.

So, long story short, Michael C. Hall and "Dexter" deserve any and all awards that are available. Golden Globes, I'm looking at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment