Tuesday, January 13, 2009

More Rickey being Rickey

I think I could post an amusing Rickey Henderson quote and/or anecdote every day for the next five years and still not run out. And since everyone's still talking about Rickey because of his Baseball Hall of Fame election on Monday, here are a few of my favorites (from the AP):

Late in his career, Henderson was shopping around for a team who would take a chance on his aging legs, and called San Diego GM Kevin Towers, who signed Henderson twice, to see if the Padres had any interest. “This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey,’” Henderson said. “Rickey wants to play baseball.”

In 2007, Henderson, sitting in the stands at AT&T Park, caught a foul ball and refused to give it up to a nearby kid despite calls from his fellow spectators. “Everybody was asking me for the ball,” Henderson said. “I said, You’re not getting this ball. I always wanted to get a foul ball. This one’s going on a shelf at home.”

Did I mention that his induction speech is going to be the greatest ever?!

No comments:

Post a Comment